Pages

GO TO YOUR ROOM !

I borrowed this phrase from the recently deceased Canadian painter Robert Genn who believed that there is only so much we can learn about how to paint from the many fine instructors and resources available today. The true learning comes from going off on our own and just doing it - Go to your room!

I have had the good fortune to take instruction from outstanding artists in Canada and the USA. I continue to work on my own development ( Going to MY room!) . I share, through this blog and workshops, what I have learned and what others have shared with me.

I created this blog primarily for those attending my workshops to keep in touch and to further share as we grow together. If others are interested in following that would be great.

Enjoy the journey.

Friday 22 March 2013

MAD AS HELL MR KITTS

Thomas Jefferson Kitts 

I'm mad as hell and I am not going to take it anymore. 

I forget the name of the movie - but the feeling fits.

Just read the blog of an artist I follow - Thomas Jefferson Kitts from Oregon. A wonderful plein air painter and teacher.

But then he said this in response to a blog question:



6. Are water soluble oils ever appropriate for outdoor painting? 
IMHO, they are appropriate for nothing. Nada. Nunca. Squat. I view them as an abomination. Mincible oils have all the faults of acrylic and none of the benefits of oil. I won't let them into my classes.


My comment to his blog in response:


Really disappointed to read your emotion-based comments on water mixable oil paints. As a highly regarded painter and teacher it surprises me that you are way off base and ill informed on the use of these products. There are student and artist grade paints - same as regular oils. Get some good quality ( Holbein Duo) and use with Gamsol - works the same. Now try with some water mixable mediums and a bit of water - works the same. Lots of info out there. Many excellent artists working with it. Get informed!!!
And as for your comments on acrylics - they don't have faults. They are not what you are used to using. Its like saying watercolours have "faults". Each medium has it up side and its down side. Water mixable oils have many upsides for a lot of artists and you should not be discouraging their use.  Said with respect.

Don't have time today to get back into this - take a look at previous blog posts or my Art Byte on using water mixable paints - follow Art Byte in sidebar

2 comments:

  1. Hi Brian. The movie you quoted was "Network". If you'd like to read my follow up I invite you to revisit my blog at http://www.thomaskitts.com

    And again, I apologize if you think I unfairly tarnished a favored media for no reason. You'll find my considered opinion there now.

    And again, thank you for your comments...

    Thomas Kitts
    http://www.thomaskitts.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for strong reaction. Said before I had coffee. I am constantly defending WM Oils and get frustrated at times. Have taken many workshops in which the instructor was surprised to learn I was using them and gave them some to try. None felt they worked differently once they got comfortable with the correct medium/water mix. For a variety of reasons many cannot or choose not to use regular oils and it disappoints me to see instructors blocking them.

      Anyway, love your work and blog and hope to take a workshop some day.

      Cheers.

      Delete

Thanks for your feedback.