Pages

GO TO YOUR ROOM !

I borrowed this phrase from the recently deceased Canadian painter Robert Genn who believed that there is only so much we can learn about how to paint from the many fine instructors and resources available today. The true learning comes from going off on our own and just doing it - Go to your room!

I have had the good fortune to take instruction from outstanding artists in Canada and the USA. I continue to work on my own development ( Going to MY room!) . I share, through this blog and workshops, what I have learned and what others have shared with me.

I created this blog primarily for those attending my workshops to keep in touch and to further share as we grow together. If others are interested in following that would be great.

Enjoy the journey.

Sunday 17 March 2013

Blog Question re clamp




Hi from beautiful Ucluelet and Tofino. One of the great sites on the west coast.  Been here with our RV at least once yearly for the twelve years we have spent on Vancouver Island. Wonderful dramatic skies and shorelines.




Taken from the beach in front of our RV.



But the reason for the post is to answer a question I got from a number of followers. Its about the clamp I use to hold my sketch pad for plein air and my photos when studio paintings. There are a number of double ended clamps available but this is the one I like best. They can be purchased from photo stores that handle Manfrotto products but I get mine from Judson Plein air.   Not cheap but very handy and sturdy. 











5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the clamp info Brian. While you're in Ucluelet, if you haven't already, check out the Wild Pacific Trail; there's some very easy access to rugged ocean vistas from the Lighthouse parking area. I'll add a link with short video, showing trail surface and views. If I remember correctly, the trail is paved for the short access to first ocean and lighthouse view from that spot, so surface would work well for bringing along your painting equipment: http://www.longbeachmaps.com/wildtrail.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. Cathy and I are big fans of what they are doing in UCluelet. Got on to a stretch of the trail near Black Rock Inn that leads out to a point for the first time. Great spot. Love Ucluelet. Have painted from it a few times. Heavy rain and wind most of this weekend so just photos.

      Cheers.

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for answering the clamp question. I've been looking everywhere for it and could find neither hide nor hair. I especially love the treatment of the sky in this piece...truly inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are very much a colourist! Fabulous painting and a great sense of west coast majesty. Hope the eye is improving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennie. And I am adapting to the changes in the eye. All the best.

      Delete

Thanks for your feedback.