|Early Start Blackcomb Mt 30x20|
Came home excited to put brush to canvas and play with a few images while I still had Whistler "feelings" in my head.
I wanted to use acrylics as I am far more playful and inventive using them and that was what I was wanting. But for the past 6 weeks I have been painting in oils trying to get myself ready for the Carol Marine workshop in February. So I wanted to make a couple of starts using different approaches to get some comfort back in using my acrylics.
I chose four images and decided on three different approaches.
For the first I used a photo of Blackcomb Mt as the main focus of the painting and used a photo of a local stream as my foreground . I used a white canvas (30x20) and placed my sketch using a black China Marker. I did my under-painting using two transparents with medium (Green Gold and Quin Magenta - both Golden Liquids). Then I decided ( no real plan here - just experimenting) once dry, to add Pthalo Blue-Green Golden Liquid to shape the darks. I shaped the mountain and foreground snow using opaques . Back and forth etc etc. playing with values and temperatures. Finished the start by raising the value of the sky and playing with warms and cools.
|Across the Valley 18x24|
The second I used an 18x24 canvas treated with gesso coloured with left over paint. I shaped the darks using transparents - Diox Purple with Quin Burnt Orange and a bit of Ultramarine Blue - all Golden liquids. Then tested colour and value for foreground snow then shaped the back ground using opques.I let the warm canvas show through randomly in several spots to create a bit of a mother colour.
|Mid Day Shadows 16x20|
The third was done on black gesso 16x20. I used white China Marker for the sketch and used dark transparents almost the value of the back to add colour and temperature variation in the dark spots - mostly Diox Purple, Quin Burnt Orange and Transparent Red Iron Oxide - then began shaping things using opaques. I let the back show through in random dark locations.
So three different approaches to three starts. Now I set them aside and consider each for a few days to decide what they need - either ideas to finish (make them more interesting and attractive ) or to the junk pile.
Pretty good days work!