Pages

GO TO YOUR ROOM !

I borrowed this phrase from the recently deceased Canadian painter Robert Genn who believed that there is only so much we can learn about how to paint from the many fine instructors and resources available today. The true learning comes from going off on our own and just doing it - Go to your room!

I have had the good fortune to take instruction from outstanding artists in Canada and the USA. I continue to work on my own development ( Going to MY room!) . I share, through this blog and workshops, what I have learned and what others have shared with me.

I created this blog primarily for those attending my workshops to keep in touch and to further share as we grow together. If others are interested in following that would be great.

Enjoy the journey.

Wednesday 18 January 2012

More thick and juicy practice!

Being primarily an acrylic painter I continue to feel the need to play with small oil sketches trying to get comfortable just laying down one stroke at a time and leaving it thick and juicy. I am hoping it will help to prepare me for my Carol Marine workshop in three weeks.


So I thought I would share one more - from my initial drawing to the final product. In this case it took about 45 minutes - kept fumbling with the drawing.


Panel is 6x8" Terraskin glued on to 1/8 " door-skin and treated with black gesso warmed with red acrylic (see how I prepare at bottom of post). Initial drawing is water soluble pencil. I can easily wipe off and correct. Once I am happy I have used yellow China Marker for final sketch then spray down with water and remove white pencil.


Now trying to lay in the paint one spot at a time and trying to avoid blending - just side by side or overtop. 
Final product - it is what it is!




Preparing panels - for small pieces I use TerraSkin or linen or canvas glued on door-skin. I increasingly like working on dark surface for these small panels - not sure why but I do. In this case I use black gesso mixed with a bit of quinacradone red to warm it. I often add an acrylic to the gesso to give it colour. I use a small cheap disposable foam roller to apply and it gives a nice even surface with some "tooth". I do not like painting on smooth surface - I like SOME tooth. 




















 I cover the roller with a small disposable glove and it keeps moist and usable for many days. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh the struggle, the passion, the thrill!!
    It's all good... it's actually
    GREAT!
    So nice to see you walking the walk!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your feedback.