Pages

GO TO YOUR ROOM !

I borrowed this phrase from the recently deceased Canadian painter Robert Genn who believed that there is only so much we can learn about how to paint from the many fine instructors and resources available today. The true learning comes from going off on our own and just doing it - Go to your room!

I have had the good fortune to take instruction from outstanding artists in Canada and the USA. I continue to work on my own development ( Going to MY room!) . I share, through this blog and workshops, what I have learned and what others have shared with me.

I created this blog primarily for those attending my workshops to keep in touch and to further share as we grow together. If others are interested in following that would be great.

Enjoy the journey.

Tuesday 8 November 2011

Art Fairs - Island Arts Expo

Winner of one of my paintings
Audrey Campbell, from Bowser
Cathy hamming it up with artist
Sharon Stone
 during a quiet moment


This past weekend Cathy and I attended the Island Arts Expo in Qualicum Bay – two days displaying pieces of my  work with about 20 other juried artists.  These are great opportunities to show our work to a large and varied audience and to observe their  response – both individual pieces and your work collectively. I consider these Trade Shows – as much or more for making people aware of your work than for selling. I usually have had a number of after-show sales and commissions from people not aware of my work and wanting something specific.  With the move to more direct sale of art these art fairs need to be considered as a useful part of our marketing.

For this event there were also artist workshop/demonstrations. I did a demo called One Approach to Starting an Acrylic Painting - as getting a good start is the most important part of a making a painting. It was well attended and fun to do. 

Next weekend I begin a workshop in Comox - four Saturdays. I would like to share some of my thoughts on workshops in my next few posts 

Still trying to get the hang of this Facebook and Blog stuff. Be patient - I will learn. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback.