Pages

GO TO YOUR ROOM !

I borrowed this phrase from the recently deceased Canadian painter Robert Genn who believed that there is only so much we can learn about how to paint from the many fine instructors and resources available today. The true learning comes from going off on our own and just doing it - Go to your room!

I have had the good fortune to take instruction from outstanding artists in Canada and the USA. I continue to work on my own development ( Going to MY room!) . I share, through this blog and workshops, what I have learned and what others have shared with me.

I created this blog primarily for those attending my workshops to keep in touch and to further share as we grow together. If others are interested in following that would be great.

Enjoy the journey.

Thursday 26 November 2015

Small West Coast Pieces - more exercises



Back in BC. Starting to work in the new studio there. Got some gallery pieces and commissions to get done. But needed to work my way back into it. So, once again, I spent the past few days working on small pieces - 8x10 up to 12x12. Fun chance to play. Half were built on an under painting of red , the rest on pthalo blue green . Did 25 in total .   Really recommend it as a way to work through things. 

Black gessoed edges drying





2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your generous sharing! When I saw "black gessoed edges" it made me wonder if you were eschewing frames? Or perhaps using floater frames on these pieces?

    I have been using gallery wrapped deep canvases for large acrylic paintings (18 X 24 and up) due to lightness, clean appearance and not having to stock frames for my paintings ($$$, space, time).

    So how do you handle the frame issue for these black edged panels?

    Thanks again for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. You answered all the options. These were low priced Christmas promo paintings and to be shown on Daily Paintworks where cost seems to be everything. So I blacken the edges, have floater frames available - people can choose. Look best in a full frame with light mat. OK?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your feedback.