Pages

GO TO YOUR ROOM !

I borrowed this phrase from the recently deceased Canadian painter Robert Genn who believed that there is only so much we can learn about how to paint from the many fine instructors and resources available today. The true learning comes from going off on our own and just doing it - Go to your room!

I have had the good fortune to take instruction from outstanding artists in Canada and the USA. I continue to work on my own development ( Going to MY room!) . I share, through this blog and workshops, what I have learned and what others have shared with me.

I created this blog primarily for those attending my workshops to keep in touch and to further share as we grow together. If others are interested in following that would be great.

Enjoy the journey.

Thursday 21 November 2013

Small brush exercises with WM oils on MDF board

Returning to Kennels - 8x10 oil on MDF


This past week I decided to spend a bit more time with the WM oils using small watercolour brushes on a smooth gessoed surface on MDF board. I am really liking the greater control I have with the combination. I no longer seem to be getting my self deep in oil muck  and am more easily able to make corrections as required.

The hunt scene was part of our old life. The shapes and colours of horses, the coats ( men wear pinks and ladies black with blue collar) and the fall colours create opportunity for abstracting and I plan to do more and larger.

Heading back to Ontario for an early Christmas with family tomorrow - so I needed to work on a few Christmas presents.


Our nephew is playing in the Toronto production of Les Mis -5x7


Our grandson Jayden 5x7


Our grand daughter Maeve 5x7

Photos are off as I had already plus a finish on ( using Liquin as recommended by Doug Braithwaite and really liking it).

Good small brush exercises.

2 comments:

  1. MDF Board is an engineered wood product formed by breaking down hardwood or softwood residuals into wood fibres, often in a defibrator, combining it with wax and a resin binder, and forming panels by applying high temperature and pressure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting my diary and commenting during a constructive manner, following on already! nice diary your have-I notably enjoyed your post on top of as I simply attended a Smash box event wherever the conjure artists all used brushes to use foundation giving a pretty mat and even finish!
    cricket-brush

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your feedback.