Pages

GO TO YOUR ROOM !

I borrowed this phrase from the recently deceased Canadian painter Robert Genn who believed that there is only so much we can learn about how to paint from the many fine instructors and resources available today. The true learning comes from going off on our own and just doing it - Go to your room!

I have had the good fortune to take instruction from outstanding artists in Canada and the USA. I continue to work on my own development ( Going to MY room!) . I share, through this blog and workshops, what I have learned and what others have shared with me.

I created this blog primarily for those attending my workshops to keep in touch and to further share as we grow together. If others are interested in following that would be great.

Enjoy the journey.

Saturday 21 July 2012

Strathcona Wilderness Institute - Paint-Out Demo



It was another fun day. I was asked to do a demo painting in support of Parks Day in BC at Strathcona Park for the Strathcona Wilderness Institute. My plan as announced was to do an acrylic demo of Mt Albert Edward - while it was a beautiful day Albert Edward was behind a big cloud all day. So it became a good exercise - using the foreground available and painting the distance and mountain from memory. 


I started showing four "options" that could be considered.  Then did my usual sketchs using water soluble pencil and final sketch using China Marker. I use two 12x16 linen on doorskins. I applied the underpainting on the first - used Jenkins Green (never used it before as an underpainting  - but is a nice warm green and something to try again). While it was drying I sketched the second and used Quin Violet for its underpainting. 


End result - two hours total time - two "starts" to consider and make final tweeking to . Might make paintings. 


Rough plans to consider 

Alla Prima Pochade configured to use for acrylics

Mt Elbert Edward is out there somewhere

Just plastic and pigment on linen. Stick them in a frame and they almost look like paintings. 

Jenkins Green underpainting

Quin Violet underpainting 


Fun day!

1 comment:

Thanks for your feedback.