Pages

GO TO YOUR ROOM !

I borrowed this phrase from the recently deceased Canadian painter Robert Genn who believed that there is only so much we can learn about how to paint from the many fine instructors and resources available today. The true learning comes from going off on our own and just doing it - Go to your room!

I have had the good fortune to take instruction from outstanding artists in Canada and the USA. I continue to work on my own development ( Going to MY room!) . I share, through this blog and workshops, what I have learned and what others have shared with me.

I created this blog primarily for those attending my workshops to keep in touch and to further share as we grow together. If others are interested in following that would be great.

Enjoy the journey.

Saturday 13 October 2012

Sisters and More Sisters



One of the more interesting series I have done is based on the Three Sisters - the iconic mountains in the Rockies above Canmore Alberta. I am represented by Avens Gallery in Canmore and, as a result, have visited the region numerous times in the past few years gathering reference material. We stay in an RV park right at the base  of the " Sisters" on the edge of town.  So I have seen it spring and fall, early, mid day and at sunset. It makes the most dramatic changes of any subject I think I have ever seen and gives one the freedom to invent knowing that anything is possible with this subject. 

I have painted it plein air from our RV window  and from the window of the RV laundry room at  -8 C last April. Plein air again in the early fall. 


Acrylic 9x12 plein air from RV window

Acrylic 11x14 plein air from RV laundry room window

And I have made numerous small and large paintings using varying views of the mountains and changing the foreground from my imagination to vary the result - painting what could be more than what is. I guess that is artistic license. 


Acrylic 12x16

Oil 6x8

Oil plein air 8x10 

Acrylic 24x26

Acrylic 24x36

Acrylic 18x24

RV park view 

RV Park in Canmore 




I have other subjects that have worked well for me in a similar fashion - holding some reference fairly accurate - what would be the centre of interest and usually found in the title - and then using a variety of foregrounds from my imagination and photos to vary the outcome.  Makes for fun and fast paintings and is great learning. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback.