Pages

GO TO YOUR ROOM !

I borrowed this phrase from the recently deceased Canadian painter Robert Genn who believed that there is only so much we can learn about how to paint from the many fine instructors and resources available today. The true learning comes from going off on our own and just doing it - Go to your room!

I have had the good fortune to take instruction from outstanding artists in Canada and the USA. I continue to work on my own development ( Going to MY room!) . I share, through this blog and workshops, what I have learned and what others have shared with me.

I created this blog primarily for those attending my workshops to keep in touch and to further share as we grow together. If others are interested in following that would be great.

Enjoy the journey.

Friday 14 March 2014

Heading to Scottsdale and William Hook

Late Day Sun   - Acrylic 24x24



Finished a painting demo at the Nanaimo FCA. All obligations met. RV is packed and tomorrow Cathy and head south to the Scottsdale Artist School and a five day acrylic workshop with   William Hook. 

He normally only gives one workshop a year and it is geared towards the more experienced artist. I have been trying to attend for a number of years but life has always gotten in the way.

So why a Hook workshop? I have admired his strong compositions and use of bold colour. He is a layering painter leaving spots of colour/brush strokes for a bold confident look. He works only in heavy body acrylics - Liquatex exclusively and uses mainly Bright brushes - different from the way I work. So, as much as anything I take it "just in case" - in case he can offer something that will advance my progress.

We will take three weeks heading back home, travelling through northern Arizona and southern Utah. Have both my oil and acrylic plein air kits and hope to make lots of small starts.

Will post my view of this workshop and our travels.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback.