Pages

GO TO YOUR ROOM !

I borrowed this phrase from the recently deceased Canadian painter Robert Genn who believed that there is only so much we can learn about how to paint from the many fine instructors and resources available today. The true learning comes from going off on our own and just doing it - Go to your room!

I have had the good fortune to take instruction from outstanding artists in Canada and the USA. I continue to work on my own development ( Going to MY room!) . I share, through this blog and workshops, what I have learned and what others have shared with me.

I created this blog primarily for those attending my workshops to keep in touch and to further share as we grow together. If others are interested in following that would be great.

Enjoy the journey.

Monday 31 March 2014

Blown away in Jerome AZ



Cathy and I spent a day in Jerome. We were there a number of years ago and got there by mistake pulling a large fifth wheel - a bit scary. So we decided to take another look with our little motor home.

What an interesting and unusual place at 5200 ft - a "living ghost town". Great old buildings full of colour and character. What stuck me was the great opportunity to work on linear perspective.

I just could not resist making a plein air start - chose acrylic .  Made a few thumbnails and sketched out with acrylic marker on linen board 11x14 - then glazed over with transparent red oxide - having seen a lot in the buildings. Started to block in and the wind came up from the valley with a heavy gust and sand filled my sta wet palette and my face. Held onto my equipment for a few more minutes and then gave up.



Probably just as well as I broke one of my cardinal rules for plein air - pick a battle you can win (from Robert Watts, Watts Atelier). In this case I chose a very complex subject , on a wind day and a busy street. I would have got more out of it by just sketching and playing with perspective. But nothing lost- learning form the losers.

Jerome is an amazing array of small streets and old buildings that would make a great study in complex perspective drawing.









Photos don't do it justice.   Now off to Sedona


2 comments:

  1. Did you make it out to the old mining camp? Painted in Jerome just last month. Great place to spend a day painting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. The winds came up to 60 mph - had enough trouble hanging onto the RV never mind my easel. Would love to have spent more time. Great spot. Cheers.

      Delete

Thanks for your feedback.