Pages

GO TO YOUR ROOM !

I borrowed this phrase from the recently deceased Canadian painter Robert Genn who believed that there is only so much we can learn about how to paint from the many fine instructors and resources available today. The true learning comes from going off on our own and just doing it - Go to your room!

I have had the good fortune to take instruction from outstanding artists in Canada and the USA. I continue to work on my own development ( Going to MY room!) . I share, through this blog and workshops, what I have learned and what others have shared with me.

I created this blog primarily for those attending my workshops to keep in touch and to further share as we grow together. If others are interested in following that would be great.

Enjoy the journey.

Friday 13 April 2012

DAILY PAINTWORKS BLOG - Interview Today

DAILY PAINTWORKS News


I had the pleasure of being interviewed for Daily Paintworks blog yesterday. Daily Paintworks is the site where artists can show pieces - mostly small- and offer them for sale through auctions. It is an opportunity for buyers to get into art at low prices. It is where I display many of my smaller, more experimental pieces. I has brought exposure to my work and resulted in sales throughout the US and Canada. 


To see the interview hit this link.

6 comments:

  1. Great interview and it has brought me to your blog. Brian, your work is a feast for the eyes, love your color,compositions, subject matter...oh, everything! I love how informative your blog is and I look forward to checking back often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian,
    I came across you web site and blog from your DPW Interview. I have added your blog to my Google Reader and will be following daily.

    I read that you are showing only smaller work on the blog. I didn't find sizes accompanying the paintings and it would be informative and a considerable help if you would give painting dimensions of each.

    On the subject of Titanium White and Naples Yellow, I have used Naples Yellow a some. I have no experience with but I have seen Unbleached White (a warmer white)used similarly and wondered if you have any experience with the Unbleached White.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mary. Thanks for the nice feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks William. All the paints should have sizes ( unless you are referring to the DPW blog - I didn't write that). The DPW website and my other sites all have sizes.

    Re Unbleached Titanium - just started to play with it last couple of days as I have with Naples - when mixed with bleached titanium no difference so far. But seems to be quite a difference between manufacturers.

    William, do me a favour. Some of my comments and replies are not working. Please send me a message back indicating that you got this.

    Thanks for viewing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brian,
    I do see your response to my comment.

    Have you found a brand of unbleached white that you prefer or are you happier with mixing Naples yellow with your white? I haven't tried but was wondering about adding to the white a paint color (Y,O,R)that leans toward the color of the ambient light when it is a warm light?

    I forgot to mention on my previous comment that I really do like your blog title and its wisdom. Also, I like your story of finding painting after completing a previous vocation and your pursuit of learning to paint.

    I apologize but I still haven't found the painting sizes on your blog. Probably right in front of me, maybe a little hint, please. I do apologize again for the bother.

    Brian, Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi again Michael. There are no sizes on my paintings on the blog - the blog is more for technique. The sizes are on my web page, DPW and the other web sites I am on.

    I do have premixed warm and cools with whites that I use - just a touch to swing it one way or the other. The thing with the Naples Light or Unbleached titanium is that it just cuts the zing off the value and coolness of the white without shifting it in any direction hue wise.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your feedback.