Pages

GO TO YOUR ROOM !

I borrowed this phrase from the recently deceased Canadian painter Robert Genn who believed that there is only so much we can learn about how to paint from the many fine instructors and resources available today. The true learning comes from going off on our own and just doing it - Go to your room!

I have had the good fortune to take instruction from outstanding artists in Canada and the USA. I continue to work on my own development ( Going to MY room!) . I share, through this blog and workshops, what I have learned and what others have shared with me.

I created this blog primarily for those attending my workshops to keep in touch and to further share as we grow together. If others are interested in following that would be great.

Enjoy the journey.

Thursday 16 February 2012

Carol Marine - Half way

Its now Thursday morning. Three days into the Carol Marine workshop. 


Day one - a general overview and discussion and we make paintings " our way" . Lets her see how we normally "perform". 


Day two - values - many small sketches starting with a burnt umber monochrome - dividing a 6x6 canvas into four squares making four small starts ( yes, I did say 6 x6 divided into four). Great exercise. Day three - more small sketches. Then making paintings one stroke at a time ( one spot of colour laid down next to the first ....  lay it and leave it - love this stuff!). Finally a discussion and exercise on composition for still life.  To day will be colour theory. 


My comments: this is a good workshop focusing on fundamentals and giving exercises to work on. Good demos. Presentations are good - it would be hard not to like this young lady. Its somewhat overwhelming - which a good workshop should be. By day three you want to quit painting - and I have enough workshop experience now to know that is normal and good. Means you are being pushed and are pushing yourself. 


Workshop is organized by Whidbey IslandFine Art Studio. Organization is excellent as is the facility. Had us all back to her home to share a lovely meal with other local artists. Very warm and friendly. Highly recommend it as place to take workshops. 


Returned to my motel to find I had sold another painting through Daily Paintworks - this time going to Seattle. Its an online company that Carol and her husband David have developed and is flourishing. So I had a total Marine day and it was great.


Beyond Filberg 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback.