Pages

GO TO YOUR ROOM !

I borrowed this phrase from the recently deceased Canadian painter Robert Genn who believed that there is only so much we can learn about how to paint from the many fine instructors and resources available today. The true learning comes from going off on our own and just doing it - Go to your room!

I have had the good fortune to take instruction from outstanding artists in Canada and the USA. I continue to work on my own development ( Going to MY room!) . I share, through this blog and workshops, what I have learned and what others have shared with me.

I created this blog primarily for those attending my workshops to keep in touch and to further share as we grow together. If others are interested in following that would be great.

Enjoy the journey.

Friday 26 May 2017

Ontario Plein Air - day two



Enjoyed another day working plein air. This time in the lovely community of Meaford which has a wonderful harbour with lots of subject matter.
Again, acrylic on linen mounted on board. Gesso mixed with Quin Red. Quick plan as thumbnail sketch. Sketch transferred to panel using with pencil. Final plan committed with acrylic marker - black.



Pencil Sketch  transferred from thumbnail

Acrylic marker final plan


Diox Purple Liquid glaze used to darken body of boats
Negative paint forming boats

Opaque paint carving negative spaces
 Adding some yellow to the negative space for "punch"
Throw it in an old frame to see if it helps. 

Don't think  I am going spend any more time on this one. Will add isolation coat ( Golden Soft Gel Gloss 2:1 with water) to bring out the darks and deeper colours and even the surface finish.

Fun sketch to do.





3 comments:

  1. I think I will learn from your process. Thank you for posting online.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the feedback. Hope it helps. Cheers

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your feedback.