Pages

GO TO YOUR ROOM !

I borrowed this phrase from the recently deceased Canadian painter Robert Genn who believed that there is only so much we can learn about how to paint from the many fine instructors and resources available today. The true learning comes from going off on our own and just doing it - Go to your room!

I have had the good fortune to take instruction from outstanding artists in Canada and the USA. I continue to work on my own development ( Going to MY room!) . I share, through this blog and workshops, what I have learned and what others have shared with me.

I created this blog primarily for those attending my workshops to keep in touch and to further share as we grow together. If others are interested in following that would be great.

Enjoy the journey.

Sunday 6 October 2013

Modifying my easels



In a recent post I described the plein air easel used by Doug Braithwaite at his workshop. He places his panels on a back board, simply resting on a small ledge. It gives him freedom to work with his panels and use his T square  in a unique and interesting way. 

Doug Braithwaite working at his easel

I modified my Art Box plein air panel holder to carry a back board with a small ledge. Took it for a run today and really liked the freedom to move the panel and have full access to the edges without clips holding it. 

Art Box unmodified with panel held by clips 

Modified with addition of back board to rest panels 

Back side holding back board 

I also modified my Jack Richeson easel, adding a removable back board and shelf and created a palette extension with a glass mixing surface. 

Modified Richeson easel - the one I use for oils 

Panel resting on ledge without attachment and free to move 

panel turned on side for easier working 

Glass palette extended working surface



2 comments:

  1. What holds the panel on the top?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. There is a wooden holder that slides vertically. Go to the webpage for Art Box and you can see the vids. Good simple system
    http://artboxandpanel.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your feedback.