Pages

GO TO YOUR ROOM !

I borrowed this phrase from the recently deceased Canadian painter Robert Genn who believed that there is only so much we can learn about how to paint from the many fine instructors and resources available today. The true learning comes from going off on our own and just doing it - Go to your room!

I have had the good fortune to take instruction from outstanding artists in Canada and the USA. I continue to work on my own development ( Going to MY room!) . I share, through this blog and workshops, what I have learned and what others have shared with me.

I created this blog primarily for those attending my workshops to keep in touch and to further share as we grow together. If others are interested in following that would be great.

Enjoy the journey.

Sunday 8 September 2013

Heading to Utah and Doug Braithwaite

Doug Braithwaite 

Doug Braithwaite is a Utah artist whose work I have admired for a number of years. He produces wonderful small plein air pieces with amazing amounts of "information" while still keeping the painting looking inventive and interesting. He is a master at value studies and laying down strokes of paint and leaving them. Its a bit the way I work with acrylics (other than the master part) which is what caught my eye initially.

I have tried to find a spot in one of his workshops that would fit my schedule but have not had luck. Then last week, on his (actually his wife Jeanette seems to do the social media stuff) FB page they announced a cancellation and I jumped on it.

He uses oils differently than anyone I have taken workshops with - that's the attraction. Doug works on gessoed (tinted light gray) MDF board and works with soft watercolour brushes. Its a marriage between surface and brushes that I have no experience with and am excited to try it. He also uses a limited palette for plein air that includes pthalo blue and greens. Very powerful and hard to control but he uses them to great effect. I also like the pieces he builds on a diox purple value plan.







So I have been busy cutting small MDF boards and treating with gesso and playing with soft watercolour brushes using my water mixable oils and mediums.

My two little 8x10 attempts from boats at the dock in front of our home. Lots to learn.

On white gesso MDF tinted light gray

On black gesso smooth MDF


So far I really like it. Can apply the oil very lean, can manipulate and remove easily with paper towels and can make distinct brushstrokes without heavy impasto paint.

So we head to Huntsville Utah, thee days with Doug and painting there and back.



Back October 1.

 Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback.