Pages

GO TO YOUR ROOM !

I borrowed this phrase from the recently deceased Canadian painter Robert Genn who believed that there is only so much we can learn about how to paint from the many fine instructors and resources available today. The true learning comes from going off on our own and just doing it - Go to your room!

I have had the good fortune to take instruction from outstanding artists in Canada and the USA. I continue to work on my own development ( Going to MY room!) . I share, through this blog and workshops, what I have learned and what others have shared with me.

I created this blog primarily for those attending my workshops to keep in touch and to further share as we grow together. If others are interested in following that would be great.

Enjoy the journey.

Thursday 7 February 2013

Boy did that feel good!



First plein air day of 2013. Been cold, wet and windy almost daily since Nov last year. Got a break in the weather so I headed out. Took my acrylic set up. First acrylic sketches since last summer. Did three quick sketches in total time of about 2 hours. Really a challenge as temperature still only about 6C so paint was not drying - I like my acrylics to dry fast. All 11x14 on canvas mounted on door skin with warm colour under painting done in advance.

Sketches are nothing to brag about - but might be worth putting time in on two of them. Right back to last years constant mistake - forgetting to allow for brightness of working outside (paintings too dark when viewed in normal room light).

But it felt SO GOOD to be outside again!






1 comment:

  1. WAY to go Brian .. pretty quick out of the gate! When are you coming again to Whistler? Maybe we can organize an outing with the WOBA gang.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your feedback.